
The scenario: You stumble out of bed late this morning. It’s monsoon season in Chicago and while the rain patters quietly against your window, putting you back to sleep, you wink, look at the clock, and realize it’s Thursday, NOT Friday. Glancing over to the pile of laundry sitting in the corner of the bedroom, a dark cloud settles around your head too, as it dawns on you that you wore your last clean pair of underwear yesterday. But alas, you find a thong, throw on a red scarf, pick up a banana and make it to the street –sans coffee. Unfortunately, there goes the #151 – in site, yet out of reach. You wish there was an old lady with her cart about to get on, as this would buy some time to run over there. Today, however the bus trudges on. No one is even waiting at your stop anyway. But the clouds part, and because your beauty is striking, no matter how late it is, a cab is always on stand-by, noticing you’ve either just missed a bus, or would be better off taking a taxi anyway. You get in, make it to work, rifle through your purse, and find four one dollar bills, while the cab fare is eight. Fortunately, something shiny stares up at you. You remember that your paycheck hits tonight, the Visa logo on your card calls, “do it, do it. What does he care anyway, now you can give him a real tip too.” What do you do? What do you do?
The inspiration for this scenario actually comes from two scenarios I’ve experienced lately. Yes, I’ve woken up without clean underwear and spent twelve-hour work days with wedgies, but I’m actually talking about being unprepared. If you live in the city without a car, chances are, you will find yourself taking cabs with credit cards. And, you’ve probably noticed those yellow charts smiling back at you in the cabs, you know, the ones that, “state your rights as a paying customer taking a taxi.” In case you’re not familiar with them, my favorite rights stated to me are:
You have the right to a driver without a cell phone
You have the right to ask the driver to turn down the radio (or roll up the window)
And, the most important one: You have the right to pay by credit card.
Perhaps these charts would be better off posted in the front seats as cranky cabbies often dismiss the rules. I’m beginning to think they are just suggestions anyway. I mean, if you missed the Cubs playing the Sox last night why wouldn’t you watch it on your IPOD while cruising down Michigan Avenue with customers in the back seat? It’s not like you’re driving drunk, right? Wrong-oh! Now, I don’t know if it’s because of the gas-gouging prices or election year, but, when I’ve begged to use my credit card (which I hate doing btw), I’ve received every excuse from I don’t have a machine, to it doesn’t work, to “the fare is only six dollars!” So, while its’ a law that cab drivers must accept credit cards, my advice is to NOT use them at all! I’m sorry, but I’ve had my luggage in the trunk held hostage at the airport now, and my credit card thrown back in my face as I’m told that I am an “a**h**e!” So, something this globetrotting gal has learned is that no matter what the stupid laws are, no matter where you are, those laws are not going to save you when you are alone in a cab in the middle of the day or night with an aggressor. I mean, come to think of it, I really don’t think there’s a screening process for these men that we hand our lives over to day in and day out. And, even if there is one, it’s obviously not good enough if I’ve had to fear for my life.
So, what do you do if you only have a credit card and need to get home? Here are your limited options:
A) Ask the driver before getting in if they take credit cards. Be polite, tell them where you’re going first, because they’ll probably take the CC for a $40 ride to the airport, but probably not for four blocks.
B) You can find an ATM machine and just spring for the $2.00 fee for pulling money out.
C) Those boots are made for walking
D) And, last, but not least, If I’m heading to my man anyway, I’ve asked him to be standing outside with his wallet on the other end (independent gals hate this one, but if you’ve got a friend on the other end waiting for ya, they won’t mind, will they?. Okay, so that settles the money thing. As for the cell phone talking, baseball watching, loud radio playing drivers, you’ve only got two choices. Either get out of the cab and find another one, or start walking boots.
Photo By: Andrew Muller
No comments:
Post a Comment